Sunday, October 23, 2016

Some Paint

 After the last few months where various outside tasks, a trip to Hawaii, and a chance to crew on a friends sailboat during some races on a local lake, I am back at work boat building. I decided to paint some of the areas that were already finished otherwise
The storage area under the front bunk has a bunch of small pieces that will enable the hot air from  the stove area to be circulated around the cabin.
Here is a detail of the shelves on the starboard side  of the bunk. I am gluing in some bits of wood to prevent the cover from collapsing inward when leaned on.
Here is a shot of the paint (actually stain) that I am using. I am using an exterior stain so hopefully it will deal with any moisture without any problems.
As a side note, my painting skills are more of "Fence Painter" then they are of "Glossy High Dollar Boat Painter", as I am using a brush, and seem to consistently err on the side of more paint then less. Also, I am painting over rough building plywood, that I have done very minimal sanding to. As long as there are no slivers and the wood is sealed, it meets my requirements.
One day I may go back and refinish those areas that are visible, after I get the boat sailing and have a chance to laze around and critique the job, but I suspect that will be a few years off yet.

1 comment:

  1. We are doing our interior with an acrylic water based primer designed to cover stains. Once that primer is on, we go over the seams, cracks and blemishes with plain old latex DAP. Then another coat of primer. Then it is ready for acrylic exterior house paint. For a wood butcher like me, that method makes for a very neatly finished interior. We are not that far yet with Autarkia, but used this method with cabinets, shelves and built-ins in a very funky old house we upgraded years ago.

    Your boat is coming along nicely and it's great to see progress on her!

    ReplyDelete