Sunday, July 7, 2013

Tia Chi, Violence and NovaBrik



July 7, 2013
   This weekend we started section 4 of the Tia Chi form class, which is where I started a year ago. I am feeling a lot more comfortable with the moves, the terminology and the stances. I don’t directly remember the moves, but I noticed with all experienced people in the class that we went a lot faster than last year, so I think I am getting the hang of it. I figure that I may actually know the form by the time I reach retirement age.
    I thought that the Demo last Canada day went very well, and was somewhat surprised that my cane application with Sifu Prince was judged “most violent”. After all it was just an old guy with a cane defending himself, right? Spears and Swords and other scary looking implements of destruction seem like they should be the violent ones, not an innocent little cane. Must be Sifu Prince’s acting skills, thank you for being a great partner.
   In other non-kung fu type stuff, other than trying to fit more projects into my life, I think that we have found the product that we would like to put on our house in place of the poorly installed, mouse friendly vinyl siding that is currently there. The product is called NovaBrik, and is a concrete block veneer. This will add 3 ½ inches of thickness to our walls, but once installed it will be completely mouse proof. I am intending to tackle just one side of the house at a time to make the project a bit more bite sized, as opposed to an immense, overwhelming task. It will also be a learning curve, as everything with this house has been, but it is the only way that I can see to get what I want (the vinyl was not our first choice, but we needed something to seal up the outside, and it was getting into November that year we built). So if you are considering something like this for your own house, and want to get some hands on experience, I expect this fall I will be needing a bit of help.
Dennis Donohue

No comments:

Post a Comment