Thursday, December 13, 2012

Sleep, another goal for 2013



While choosing goals for the 2013 I Ho Chuan year, I was concerned that I would fall into the trap of “just get out of bed an hour earlier” or variations on that theme. I have found that for optimum performance, I need to average about 7.5 hours of sleep a night. Without this much sleep, averaged over a week or so, I notice a few things, such as my ability to focus drops, and my wife reports that I may become slightly “crabby”. I have never noticed the crabby part, but I do know that I become somewhat more cynical, and also let my “inside” voice out more than I should. I have survived on less than 4 hours of sleep a night while in military boot camp but that was partially an exercise in brainwashing (stress tests) combined with behavior control.
  As I still need to keep a paying job, with all the perks of a steady income, and I do like being married to my wife, sleep must be accounted for. At some point in the future, I may become enlightened enough to control my body to the point that I need less sleep, but I also want to sleep in a warm bed until that time. I ask others who are contemplating their next year’s goals to ask themselves what boundaries they need to protect, encourage or set in order that their real goals can be accomplished.

2012/12/13

No comments:

Post a Comment