December 2015 sailboat project update
So this year I have actually made some progress on building something. It still takes a lot of imagination to see a sailboat, but trust me, it will be.
Much of the work was in preparation, getting the barn ready to work in. I fixed the heater so I would have thermostatic control of the heat
I have picked up stuff to go in the boat, such as a cute little Hobbit wood stove http://salamanderstoves.com/product/small-stove-hobbit/?ap_id=npeterson, which I bought before I discovered the Canadian made Cubic wood stoves.
Yes, that is the composting toilet as well, both set up in the barn.
The original plan was an outboard in a well, but I had an old Mercedes 240D with a rusted out body and a good 65 Hp diesel in it. I thought I would use it and a marine transmission to a prop. The transmission turned out to be a difficult thing to find on the prairies, so I thought a jet pump would be a good idea, nothing to catch on the bottom. I found someone in Calgary selling a 350 Oldsmobile marine engine and Berkley jet pump, at a very good price, so I bought it. I was going to get the pump modified to match the little diesel, then decided that since the motor and jet pump was all ready to go, I would use it as is. I can always change it later, and have designed the bottom opening so that I could remove motor and pump and replace them with an suitable outboard, if I ever find one at a reasonable price.
I welded a steel frame, to make a level work platform for now, and it will eventually become a flatbed trailer for the boat.
Here is the last 8 feet of the boat hull, upside down, showing the pump during a dry fit
next pictures are flipping it over and getting it ready to attach to the rest of the hull bottom
The galley to saloon bulkhead, the bottom 8 inches are hidden in this picture
The cockpit to galley bulkhead, leaning against previous bulkheads ( there is a big U shaped cutout for the doorway)
This is the front hold to bunk bulkhead
I have other pictures, but these show a good overview of my current progress. The next stage is adding the false floor, 1.5" Styrofoam and 2x stringers, then 1/2" plywood. I am making this change from Dave's plan because I want to be able to use this while on a trailer, when it is cold out, and want warm feet.
I have run across some similar blogs, one in particular I want to mention http://junkrighouseboat.blogspot.ca/2015/12/why.html
because he is doing a very similar build. In addition to the reasons he states for building a triloboat, I want to add that I will be starting out sailing in central Alberta lakes, which tend towards shallow at the best of times. I also have put in the requirement that it will be useable as a funky RV while it is sitting on the trailer. I will be putting in a hot water shower, with a tankless hot water heater http://www.amazon.ca/Marey-Power-Propane-Tankless-Heater/dp/B00886CZA6, and am converting an old bar fridge to a top opening fridge, with added insulation.
For those looking for mast material, difficult to find on the prairies, I think I have found a solution. Just down the road from me is a fellow who has a home business cutting firewood for the local lake campers, and has his raw logs delivered by a big logging truck. I discussed the requirements I had for a mast, and he is going to separate a couple of suitable logs from his next load. He says that there are typically several each load that will work, he just has to set them aside. This will save a great deal of trouble, as otherwise I was looking at getting a permit, then driving several hours until I found a selection of suitable trees, then hauling the trees back on my trailer. Now I will just have to move them less than a half a mile down a back road.